The Office of Information and Library at LungHwa University of Science and Technology is aimed to provide various information and library services to meet the needs of teaching, learning and academic research. Since the beginning of the establishment of the University in 1969, the office has kept expanding for campus computer networks, academic information systems, and books and electronic journals.
The services of the office consist of two parts: information services and library services. The goal of information services is to build and to support campus computer network infrastructure, academic information systems, basic information education and research needs, and other information services. The services include to provideing quality campus network to ensure stability of connection between TANET and campus network and online administration operation. The office is currently engaged in software research, planning to make the office as the software R and D center on campus. Therefore, the office has upgrade network bandwidth to Gigabit Ethernet, and has set up facilities for distance learning and wireless LAN so networked, computerized, wireless campus can be completed. Furthermore, the office has set up the ISMS mechanism and obtained the ISO27001 certification to enhance our campus information security infrastructure.
Current responsibilities of the information services include：
- Providing consultation services on WWW, E-mail, FTP and BBS for the faculty and the students；
- Supporting basic computer courses and academic research；
- Developing and supporting online administration on campus；
- Offering integrated information services and maintaining normal functioning of the database, hardware and software for campus networking；
- Providing high-quality network services and enhancing the functioning of the network；
- Building up the campus computer network infrastructure of Lunghwa University and maintaining the system.
- Library services are comprised of two sections: reader service and technical service. The office also has a Library Consultant Committee with the University level to assist in planning.
- Usage of budget and future development. To promote sustainable development, the office aims to improve the library’s collection not only in quantity, but also in quality.
The University library building, completed in April 2000, is a 7-story modernized building with a floor space of 5,892 square meters, Situated at Lung-Hwa slope, it the library allows users and visitors to admire the magnificent panoramic view of Datong Mountain. It is also comfortable and delightful with its bright, clear and humanized interior decoration. The collection is primarily concentrated on subject areas of the university's departments and humanity-related. Currently, there are over 420,000 books (includeing electronic books), 400 journals, 30,000 electronic journals, and 200 electronic databases to supply various information services to meet the needs of teaching, learning and academic research. To provide high-quality services, the library's automatic systems can support the needs of readers with new, rapid, substantive, and simplified functions.
Readers can use WLAN in every corner of the library building. The service of Remote Patron Authentication (RPA) gives readers freedom to access the library anytime and anywhere. The digitalized dissertation and thesis system can promote the visibility and citation rate of the University’s degree theses. And actively participate in various consortiums and expand domestic and international interlibrary cooperation.
In the future, the library information service will aim to improve the collection not only in quantity but also in quality.It will create an extensive collection and comfortable reading environment. in order to attract more people to come to the library. The service will be more sophisticated, while keepsing its diversification. Most importantly, is the idea of a “reader-oriented” library will be kept in students’, visitors’ and library patrons’ minds forever.
System Development Section
This section is responsible for the computerization of teacher/student services and campus administration. Its job descriptions are:
- Install and maintain the teachers’ information system.
- Install and maintain the students’ information system.
- Install and maintain the administrators’ information system.
- Install and maintain the information system for the Teaching and Learning Excellence Project.
- Introduce Information Security Management System (ISMS).
Network Application Section
This section is campus network, as well as the installation and management of wireless network. Its job descriptions are:
- Process applications for firewall authentication.
- Process applications for Domain Name System (DNS) and its changes.
- Install and manage e-mail accounts of the staff and students.
- Manage and maintain campus anti-virus software
- Manage campus and dormitory network
- Manage and maintain Intrusive Prevention System (IPS).
- Help trouble-shoot computer network related problems.
Administration Consulation Section
This section is in charge of installing and maintaining a coherent and reliable campus website that responds to inquiries from staff, students, and visitors, as well as authorizing campus software and promoting information security. Its job descriptions are:
- Install and maintain LHU’s World Wide Web.
- Execute school policy and coordinate intersection affairs.
- Draft budgetary estimate on information and control the execution of information budget.
- Consolidate budget for common software and conduct software consultation and purchase.
- Install and promote Information Security Management System (ISMS).
- Support others unit for computer consultation.
Reader's Service Section
This section is in charge of anything that is directly related to readers including circulation, reading, book reservation, reference consultation, inter-library cooperation, promotion of electronic resources, planning and execution of promotional activities, management of library web page, issuance of library cards, management of student workers, and management of audio-video rooms, research booths and study rooms, etc.
Technical Service Section
This section is the library’s behind the scene hero in charge of the requisition, selection, procurement, classification and numbering of books, journals, e-books, e-journals, electronic information, audio-visual material. Other responsibilities include installing and maintaining the library’s information system and management and maintenance of the library’s building and its facilities.